UNIT 1 – TEST 1 – Tiếng Anh 11 (Đề bài)
1. a. machine b. change c. teacher d. choose
2. a. condition b. option c. suggestion d. relation
3. a. believe b. readily c. friend d. pleasure
4. a. good b. gossip c. game d. geometry
5. a. trust b. mutual c. number d. uncertain
II. LANGUAGE FOCUS
A. Choose the one word or phrase – a, b, c, or d – that best completes the sentences or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase.
6. It was so relaxing to be ________ old friends.
a. in b. between c. among d. around
7. She’s made friends ________ a little girl who lives next door.
a. to b. of c. by d. with
8. The children seem to be totally capable ________ working by themselves.
a. on b. of c. in d. for
9. Your friendship should be based on ________ trust.
a. basic b. fragile c. mutual d. blind
10. The company expects ________ from its employees.
a. constancy b. quality c. interest d. loyalty
11. I’ve got lots of _______, but only a few are really good friends
a. close friends b. acquaintances c. neighbors d. partners
12. Friendship is a two-sided ________, it lives by give-and-take.
a. affair b. event c. aspect d. feature
13. Unselfishness is the very essence of friendship.
a. romantic part b. important part c. difficult part d. interesting part
14. They ________ a close friendship at university.
a. created b. became c. promoted d. formed
15. We stayed friends even after we ________ and left home.
a. brought up b. turned up c. grew up d. took up
B. Choose the word or phrase -a, b, c, or d -that best completes the sentence.
16. He finds it ________ lasting friendships.
a. difficult to make b. difficulty in making c. is difficult to make d. difficult making
17. You ________ any friends if you ________ talking like that.
a. will win/ carryon b. won’t win/ carryon
c. wouldn’t win/ carried on d. would have won/ had carried on
18. The aim of the culture festival is ________ friendship between the two countries
a. promote b. promoting c. to promote d. being promoted
19. People he ________ turned out to be only fair-weather friends.
a. trusted b. has trusted c. was trusting d. had trusted
20. How can you let such a silly incident ________ your friendship?
a. wreck b. to wreck c. wrecking d. that wrecks
21. It has become necessary ________ water in the metropolitan area because of
the severe drought.
a. rationing b. ration c. to ration d. to have rationed
22. All the passengers were made ________ their seat belts during the turbulence.
a. buckle b. to buckle c. buckling d. for buckling.
23. ________ good ice cream, you need to use a lot of cream.
a. Make b. Making c. To make d. For make
24. I got my friend ________ her car for the weekend.
a. to let me to borrow b. to let me borrow c. let me borrow d. let me to borrow
25. They _______ good friends, but they’ve fallen out recently.
a. used to be b. would be c. were d. are
C. Identify the one underlined word or phase – A, B, C or D – that must be changed for the sentence to be correct.
26. Whatever happened, I didn’t want to lose friendship of Vera.
A B C D
27. The basic aims of science and magic are very similar – to understand and to
A B C D
28. It was a period of her life when she made some lifelong friendship.
A B C D
29. Simon finds it hard for making friends with other children.
A B C D
30. Not longer are contributions to the advancement of industry made primarily by
A B C D
A. Fill in each blank with one appropriate word from the box.
terms words came pieces touch change
last experience talk accent get make
Meeting old school friends again can be a strange (31) ________ Some have changed so much that you can hardly recognise them: they speak with a different (32) ________, are interested in different things and all you can do is make small (33) ________ and hope they’ll go soon. Others, though you might have been out of (34) ________ with them for years, are just the same as they always were – it’s as if you (35) ________ saw them yesterday.
Before you know it, you’re exchanging (36) ________ about your families and friends, and setting out the (37) ________ for another game of chess. A few change for the better. There’s one person that I (38) ________ on with very well now, though we weren’t on speaking (39) ________ for our last two years at school. One day, we met at a party and made it up and (40) ________ engaged the same evening.
B. Read the passage carefully, then decide whether the following statement are true (T) or false (F)
The proverb ‘A friend in need is a friend indeed.’ means that we shall know who our real friends are when we are in need. Those who desert us when we are in difficulty are just unfaithful friends.
A true friend would remain with us whether we are rich or poor. Some people be friend the rich, simply for the sake of getting benefits from them.
It is useless to have insincere friends because these friends remain with us as long as we are rich or powerful. It is better to have one or two good friends rather than having hundreds of insincere ones.
A true friend will stand by us in our trials and tribulations. He will be a great source of consolation and comfort in our troubles. So we must be careful in choosing our friends. It is difficult to choose a sincere friend overnight; it takes years for us to find a sincere friend.
41. Real friends share everything we need.
42. Unfaithful friends stop being our friends when we are in trouble.
43. A rich friend is always a true friend.
44. A true friend is always loyal to us and support us through our difficulties.
45. It’s not worth having a lot of friends.
46. It may take a lot of time to find a real friend.
47. ________ the promotion of health and to helping people avoid injury and disease.
a. To commit the Red Cross b. The Red Cross to commit
c. Committed to the Red Cross is d. The Red Cross is committed to
48. It is possible ________ may assist some tree in saving water in the winter.
a. the leaves are lost b. when leaves have lost
c. that the loss of leaves d. to lose leaves
49. It can sometimes ________ a home.
a. to take months to sell b. take several months to sell
c. selling takes several months d. to sell taking several months
50. Pioneer men and women endured terrible hardships, and ________
a. so do their children b. neither did the children
c. also the children d. so did their children